What to do for Valentine's Day
-- blog --
What Are You Doing on Valentine's Day?
Are you wondering what to do for Valentine's Day? You're not alone. For the single guy or gal it can be a day of loneliness and self-doubt. For couples, choices abound -- from a romantic outing to a small gift or card to passing on the day altogether, with lots of options in between. Doing nothing is obviously the cheapest choice, no matter your relationship status. But whatever you do for Valentine's Day, make it fun and keep it cheap.
Photo by sxc.hu/J-Stuart
Being true to your frugal roots is no reason to ignore Valentine's Day. (Spoiler alert: An upcoming post on buying flowers discusses the astronomical price climb around Feb. 14th.) You can express your love and affection by enjoying each other's company, not just by treating that special someone to dinner or offering up a box of chocolates. Most importantly, as you plan what to do for Valentine's Day, make sure the effort reflects what you truly want, rather than what you feel obligated to.
Perhaps we could take a cue from Latin America when figuring out what to do for Valentine's Day. The Mexican Dia de San Valentin, or El Dia del Amor y la Amistad as it's commonly known, is a day for appreciating friends and family in addition to significant others. Chocolate hearts are often presented to aunts; flowers may be handed to you by a cousin. So be inclusive. Spend time with a group of people you love and celebrate the joy with a crowd.
|Our Valentine's Day Coverage|
|• Valentine's Day Deals & Sales|
|• Cheap Valentine's Day Gifts for Him and Her|
|• The Bright Side to Falling Out of Love|
We've compiled a variety of alternative approaches to Valentine's Day, be it on your own or with others. And if you decide to skip it altogether, we've lined up a few justifications for you. From tongue-in-cheek to heartfelt, herewith is our list of 15 reasons to skip the candy, the present, and the night out:
What to Do for Valentine's Day: Alternatives Dates.
- Date night on February 16th means coming home to bags of half-priced chocolate for dessert
- Watch a horror movie together; arm-clenching scenes of terror may lead to cuddling
- Dress up and pretend it's Halloween
- Plant a rosebush together and add beauty to the neighborhood for a lifetime; give a cut rose and the beauty fades in a week
Photo by sxc.hu/SilentFury
What to Do for Valentine's Day: Single Activities.
- Use the day to work on personal development; read a book, make art, begin to learn a trade
- Take time to check in on how you're doing with your New Year's resolutions
- Organize your room; it's never too early to begin spring cleaning
- Give flowers and a box of chocolate to someone less fortunate
- Celebrate Singles Awareness Day for three days in a row
What to Do for Valentine's Day: Never Mind.
- Being rebellious is hot
- Spaghetti drenched in red sauce and garlic bread (with lots of extra garlic) makes one terrific dinner
- NECCO Sweethearts really don't live up to the hype
- A day of remembrance is in order for those who died during the St. Valentine's Day Massacre
- American Idol airs on Thursday nights (February 14 falls on Thursday this year)
- Love your significant other, your family, and your friends every day of the year